Give Experiences, Not Things
by Cris Sgrott-Wheedleton
The results of SpareFoot’s 2016 holiday survey are in, just as people are starting to plan their wish lists. The survey revealed that:
- 79% of the population says they never use some of their gifts
- Nearly 1 in 5 Americans never use half their gifts
That’s a lot of gifts creating clutter! Did you know that 44% of Americans make unhealthier food choices when their house is messy? People with a cluttered home experience increased exhaustion, as well.
Instead of giving a gift that is going to create stress, give an experience gift this year.
- Dinner & a movie – give gift cards to a local restaurant and movie theater to a couple so they can enjoy a night out. You can add free babysitting to the gift if they have young kids.
- Spa & massage – Who doesn’t deserve a little pampering around the holidays? From new moms to frazzled business owners (hint), a massage or spa day can be the best of gifts.
- Sports & event tickets – Treat your loved ones to a favorite sporting event or get tickets to a play, ballet, or concert.
Of course, you can always give the perfect gift: The gift of organization. Organizing Maniacs has gift certificates available so that you can give the gift of less stress to all your friends and family.
The infographic below provides more interesting holiday gift information. I am happy to see that most people prefer experience gifts to more “stuff.”