40 Organizing Ideas
We’re only a little more than 100 days away from the end of the year, so to get us through the rest of 2020. To be more prepared for whatever the holidays bring this year, here are 40 organizing ideas you can use between now and New Year’s to organize your home and life.
40 Organizing Tips: Getting Started
- Pick one small project to focus on. The idea is to get something completed each day.
- Don’t expect perfection.
- Every time you leave a room take something with you that doesn’t belong there and put it away.
- Organize for you and your life, not to meet anyone else’s expectations
- Make it fun – turn on music, invite a friend, take before & after pictures
40 Organizing Ideas: The Kitchen
- Declutter first – take a look around the room and grab everything you can that belongs elsewhere
- Wash dishes right after eating to avoid clutter and dish buildup.
- Unload the dishwasher as soon as it’s ready so that you have room for dirty dishes.
- Go through your cupboards and remove any dish or pan that you didn’t use in the last 12 months – because that means you don’t even need them for the holidays
- Spend 10 minutes in the morning before you leave for work or start you day and clean out a drawer or cupboard (check your spice rack too)
- Clean out your spices. You’ll probably find some that expired before your kids were born
- Add shelf risers, baskets, and dividers to make your drawers and cupboards work more effectively for storing your stuff
- Tackle your fridge – start by cleaning out all the expired foods, then get shelf organizers and corral everything else
- Hang your pots and pans, either on the side of a cupboard or from a pot hanger
- Add cord organizers to keep your appliances in check
40 Organizing Ideas: The Bathroom
- Declutter first – throw away outdated and unused products
- Make sure there’s a place to hang everything – add hooks if needed
- If you have a small bathroom, use wall space for storage by adding shelves and hooks
- Add baskets and cupboard storage – even hang a towel rack inside the cupboard – to keep clutter on the sink counter to a minimum
- Take advantage of every space – don’t forget to think vertically
- If it makes sense for your space and family type, add a hamper so you aren’t constantly picking wet towels and dirty underwear off the floor
- Add towel hooks, which take up less space than a towel bar
- Add a shower caddy to help organize shampoos and other items in the bath
- Invest in an over-the-toilet shelf for additional space
- Add corner shelves in unused spaces
40 Organizing Ideas: The Bedroom
- Do a quick round of decluttering first
- Start with small projects you can handle quickly, like cleaning off the dresser or cleaning out a drawer
- Since your closet will likely take more than one round, start with a quick sorting of items you know you don’t need to keep, like extra purses, old shoes, and clothes you’ve been saving for just in case
- Get in the habit of making your bed every day – it helps your room feel less cluttered without much effort at all
- Create space by using storage bins for shoes, off-season clothing, belts, and purses
40 Organizing Ideas: Kids Rooms
- Enlist the help of your kids so that they feel responsible for keeping the space clean and uncluttered
- Establish rules about putting a toy away before getting another toy out
- Use things like hanging, clear plastic shoe holders on the back of the door to hold toys or bins for logos, crayons, and other smaller items
- Use bins, crates, and racked shelves to store books
- Get a lidded toy box for all those items that need a place to be when they’re not being used
40 Organizing Ideas: The Garage
- Add hanging storage for bikes, tents, and seasonal gear
- Add shelving
- Use bins or baskets for sports equipment – label them and keep them sorted
- Use plastic bins for storage since they are not only waterproof but stackable
- Visit Family Handy Man for more ideas
For a great list of decluttering ideas, visit The Spruce.