Declutter Tips You Can Implement Now
Clutter is the enemy of organization, but these declutter tips are ones you can put to use right away and see a big difference.
Sort the Mail When You Receive It
Sort your mail standing over your trash can. I don’t know what your mailbox looks like, but half the stuff that comes in mine is stuff I can throw away. By immediately tossing (or recycling) what you can’t or won’t use, you eliminate an entire area of clutter in your home. If you’re up to a bigger challenge, go through and cancel subscriptions to magazines and catalogs so that you no longer receive them. And be honest with yourself when you decide to keep a magazine or catalog – will you really take the time to read it? If so, at least designate a bookshelf or space where you can save it, and throw out the previous month’s version.
One of our favorite declutter tips can have a big impact In every room. Simply go through each room and remove the trash. Take a trash bag with you and toss out papers, broken items, empty containers, or anything else you know you won’t keep, sell, or donate.
How To Sort Clutter
One of the toughest parts of decluttering is knowing what to keep and what to get rid of. We have some easy declutter tips to help you sort through your stuff more quickly.
- Have you used it in the last 12 months? If not, you probably don’t need it.
- Is it broken? Unless it’s something you not only can easily fix but that you will actually fix, get rid of it.
- Is it something you can replace digitally? DVDs, CDs, and other media (including photographs) can all be digitized now.
Room-by-Room Declutter Tips
Each room has its own quirks for quick decluttering.
- In the kitchen, start with the pantry and spice cupboards and toss out anything that is expired or has not been used in over a year.
- In the bathroom, throw away old and expired makeup, perfumes, and hair products you no longer use or will not use.
- For the bedroom, put away the laundry. If you’re really inspired, go through your clothing and pull out what no longer fits and what you no longer wear and drop it off at a donation bin.
- In the dining room, clear off your dining room table.
Decluttering is the first step toward better organizing. These declutter tips can help make it fast and easy, but we don’t expect you to do it alone! We’re here to help, just give us a call.