Maniac Book Club: Atomic Habits by James Clear
Atomic Habits by James Clear offers a proven framework for improving–every day.
“Goals are about results you want to achieve. Systems are about the process that lead to those results.” – James Clear
In Atomic Habits, Clear explains that goals are about the results we want to achieve, and systems are about the process that leads us to achieve those results. It is common to begin the process of changing our habits by focusing on what we want to achieve. This leads us to create outcome-based habits, and the alternative is to build identity-based habits. By using this approach, we start by focusing on who we want to become.
Who do you want be?
- A person that gets places on time?
- A person that is not embarrassed to open the door?
- A person that finishes what they start?
Clear states that “you do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.”
- Small changes can make a huge difference. Progress on our goals can be made with incremental changes. T
- We are what we believe in. You can change your belief system. Mo Willems said, “if you don’t like your story, leave it.”
- We may have all of the goals in the Universe, but if we don’t have the systems to help us accomplish them, we
might as well be throwing spaghetti on the wall. Setting goals without systems will likely not lead to success and accomplishment of those goals.
Atomic Habits by James Clear is available on Amazon.
Download our full report here.
Looking for a way to stay motivated and get the support you need? Join The Maniac Within!
Weekly Office Hours. Every week we meet to talk about organizing. Strategy + Systems + Accountability = Organization and Productivity