Maniac’s Book Club: Andy Warhol Was a Hoarder
Andy Warhol Was a Hoarder: Inside the Minds of History’s Great Personalities by Claudia Kalb
“The mind is a chaos of delight.” – Charles Darwin
In a culmination of twelve biographies of well-known historical figures who were hoarders, Claudia Kalb focuses not on what made each person famous. She instead takes a deeper look at how each individual struggled with mental health. Diagnosing a person in the past, using the constraints and definitions of a mental illness today, can prove to be nearly impossible. Kalb is able to merge past and present by researching historical records. She also interviewed several specialists within the mental health profession about her findings. In doing so, she is able to identify the complexities of several mental health issues that our clients are faced with today. These include anxiety, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), depression, and hoarding. She attempts to put a face on mental health – and in many cases a very famous one.
The following is a list of the twelve people focused on, including the suggested mental illness or physical ailments they faced:
- Marilyn Monroe: Borderline personality disorder
- Howard Hughes: Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Andy Warhol: Hoarding disorder
- Princess Diana: Bulimia nervosa
- Abraham Lincoln: Depression
- Christine Jorgensen: Gender dysphoria
- Frank Lloyd Wright: Narcissistic personality disorder
- Betty Ford: Substance abuse
- Charles Darwin: Anxiety and irritable bowel disorder
- George Gershwin: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Fyodor Dostoevsky: Compulsive gambling
- Albert Einstein: Asperger syndrome
It was a fascinating read and a lot of fun. The people she is discussing in this book include Princess Diana and Abraham Lincoln, a couple of our favorites. The stories in the book were not only interesting, but easy to relate to. Kalb does a great job of inspiring the reader with hope. She shows that some of the greatest people of our time struggled just like you and I. Readers will find themselves thinking, at least one time in the book, “That sounds a little bit like me.”
Andy Warhol Was a Hoarder: Inside the Minds of History’s Great Personalities by Claudia Kalb is available on Amazon.
Despite all of our unfavorable traits, genius and greatness can and does exist in all of us.
Are you interested in participating in our monthly Maniac’s Book Club? Join our Facebook Group!