The Gift of Time
With so much emphasis on physical gifts and sales like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, we often forget that sometimes the most meaningful gift we can give a loved one is to give the give of time. We live in a fast-paced world. Wouldn’t it be nice to slow down for a minute and reconnect with those people that make all the hard work worth it? We think so, too. Below are a few ideas for how you can give the gift of time to those you love this holiday season.
To Your Family
- Make time for family dinners. Reconnect, tell stories, laugh, eat.
- Volunteer to drive carpool to spend some time together.
- Plan a weekend activities that involves all member of the family. Go for a walk, go ice skating, catch a movie, or treat yourselves to a dinner at a favorite restaurant.
To Your Friends
- Go to brunch one weekend.
- Host a board game night and have friends bring over their kids, too.
- Run errands together.
- Write a letter, email, or make a phone call to a long-distance friend.
To Your Community
- Find a cause you’re passionate about then sign up to volunteer in that field.
- Involve the whole family if possible.
- Check out volunteer opportunities in Northern Virginia here: Connect Northern Virginia
- The better you take care of yourself, the more energy you will have to take care of those around you.
- Carve out as little as 10 minutes a day for dedicated Me Time. Make this time a priority as you would a doctor’s appointment and stick to it, even when life gets hectic.
- Read, do something crafty, exercise, bake, watch a movie no one else likes but you love, take a bath, build something in the garage, or do nothing at all. Whatever makes you feel whole and happy.