Winter: Cold, Dark, Wonderful – Project #3 Organizing Shoes
Okay, so we got distracted making videos during project #2, but we are back on track.
Winter Project #3
Target Area: The Closet
What to tackle: Organizing Shoes
Why: Because summer will be here soon, even if it doesn’t feel like it. And with summer comes a whole new season of shoes. Time to make room for new ones and get rid of those cute heels you’ve had for three years but have yet to make it out of the box.
How to do it:
- First and foremost, don’t let yourself be overwhelmed by the project. Stick to making decisions only about shoes. If you have energy left over when you’ve finished with shoes, then move onto another category such as summer dresses, or jeans.
- Pull out all those shoes and line them up on the bedroom floor.
- As you pull them out of the closet, put separate them into two categories: keep or donate. It’s that simple.
- Remember, we wear about 20% of the things we own 80% of the time. Paring down your shoes to only those you like, those you wear, and those that are comfortable will actually make you feel like you have a better shoe collection because you will have easier access to the pairs you love.
- When you put the ‘keepers’ back into the closet, make sure you keep the current season shoes most accessible.
Extra tip: Tired of dust covering your shoes but hate that you can’t see which pair is which when you leave them in the box? The Container Store and other retailers sell clear plastic shoe bins to avoid this. Don’t like plastic or want a lower cost option? Take a quick snapshot of each pair of shoes and tape it to the shoebox so you can see what’s inside.